Head Scarf * Chemo Cap Tutorial

**NEW (UPDATED) CHEMO CAP TUTORIAL NOW PUBLISHED - CLICK HERE**


Cancer. Ek. The word alone sends a chill down my spine and tugs at my heart.
The disease that, in some way, affects us all. No one is immune.
The American Cancer Society projected that in 2010 there would be approximately 1,529,560 new cancer cases diagnosed.  In America alone, it is expected that more than 1,500 people will die of cancer each day.

In the last year, two of the greatest women I have ever had the privilege of knowing, were both diagnosed with cancer. Cancer affects us all.  Even as friends of cancer patients, we are affected. The grief and shock that hits us all when we hear of someone we know being diagnosed. For me, that pain was immediately followed by the strong urge to do something. Anything! Whatever I could do to help. Now, I am not a doctor or a scientist. I lack the financial means to give any significant donations. But I am a prayer warrior! So, I pray! I pray that the scientists can find a cure for this disease, I pray that the doctors have the patience, knowledge and resources to make the best decisions for those who are ill. I pray that everyone who is suffering is comforted by the peace and love of the Lord. I pray that I can do something, anything to help them through this awful experience.

Our God is awesome and last month a prayer of mine was answered when I was presented with a way that I could help! A family friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer and was looking for head scarfs, "Chemo caps" as they are sometimes called, to cover her head after she began chemotherapy. She has 4 beautiful grandchildren, all under the age of 3, and she wanted to make sure she looked as healthy as possible throughout her treatments.  Have you ever looked into purchasing headscarfs? Holy expensive!  After ordering two scarfs, spending nearly $100, and disliking them both; she got to talking to my mom about having someone make her scarfs.  I had never made anything like this; but I was appalled to see how much money people were charging for these scarfs, so I was determined to give it a try! 
The first thing I did was search my favorite craft websites for a tutorial. Much to my surprise; I could not find one!  After extending my search, I was still unable to find a tutorial for the style headscarf my friend wanted. Just like that, God had presented me with my direction to help.
I needed to figure out how to make these scarfs for a reasonable price, and I needed to share this information with everyone!  I am SO pleased to be sharing this tutorial with you! These scarfs are truly beautiful, and can be made for around $15 a piece! They are comfortable and flattering to wear. The very best part; they can be made by a beginning sewer with basic skills and a regular ol' sewing machine! :)  Here's the scoop!

**UPDATE**
A new (and improved!) version of this tutorial is now available, HERE

I pray that we will see a cure for cancer in my lifetime. God bless!

12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing to do. I don't have anyone going thru cancer but I might make a few of these to take to the local Cancer Center. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this tute. I've got it bookmarked. My friend has MS and she's been noticing her hair is getting thin (luckily she started with lots so it's not noticeable yet) but eventually she's going to have to wear something, and she's not a big fan of wigs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had cancer, but over the last few years I have lost all my hair for some reason. I have had many tests but they cannot find the cause of my alopecia. As a result I wear scarves and for formal occasions, a wig. This chemo scarf look really lovely, and I will certainly be trying it out. Thanks for the directions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful idea. You are an angel! I am a cancer survivor and would have loved something like this when I lost my hair! (Funny story, when I lost it, it was red...but it came back brown! Crazy!) It is so amazing to see someone as passionate about curing cancer as you are! Thanks for your comments on my LOFT-alike necklace! I totally agree that a thicker ribbon would be better! Come visit again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much for this tutorial! my mom will be starting chemo on monday and i really wanted to make her something. i'm not a *great* sewer, but hopefully i can figure it out. thanks again! ((hugs)) lisa
    leech3@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really pretty scarf, one question tho, how warm is the ribbed knit fabric? I'm making it for someone in Florida and don't want her to overheat. Would it work with just a lightweight cotton or silk fabric, or do you need the knit to keep it in place?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, thank you so much for this, I have made the first one for my friend Sue who is just about to lose her hair with a view to tweaking it once she tries it on. I couldn't managed to do the curved corners so kept them straight but it looks ok I think.

    Thanks again K

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your passion and prayer. I'm a Stage 2; and just had my first chemo treatment. Like the worst flu ever. So glad to find this tutorial, so I can make some- blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9/19/2016

    Would you recommend colorful fabrics? My friend normally wears a lot of black, but I am not sure that color will be flattering for her mow. What do you think?
    ESdith Page

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9/19/2016

    What colors do you recommend? My friend usually wears lots of black, but I am not sure it would be flattering now. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  11. If anyone has a need for one of these and cannot make there own or knows of someone. I would be happy to make and send them one. Just send me your address at 8Luv2Knit8@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a God send! My sister loves what I'm doing to help her through this trying time! Thank you for sharing for the Lord!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground