Tutorial: DIY Chunky Bead Necklace for Girls


Last fall, before the BEE Merry & Bright photo shoot, I made the girls some chunky bead necklaces to wear -
They were SO cute! I just love the whimsical look of the chunky beads; perfect for my silly little fashionistas!
My girls have quite a few of these fun necklaces in their jewelry boxes and just love them!

Want to make one to add to your little queen bee’s Easter Basket?
Here’s the scoop…



Supplies:
Stretch Magic Cord (1mm)
Chunky Beads - The beads shown here are 16mm acrylic beads, but 20mm beads look AWESOME too!
1 yard of Ribbon (5/8 or 7/8 wide)
2 toggle clasps OR jump rings
Scissors
Glue Gun/Glue


Prep Work:
Step 1. Cut one piece of stretch cord and tie one end of the cut piece to one of the toggle clasps, top the knot with a dab of glue.

The length of your cord piece will depend on the style necklace you would like to make.
For a full beaded look, I cut my cord 18 inches. For a partially beaded look, I cut my cord 13 inches.
My girls wear sizes 3t – 5 and these necklaces fit them both perfectly. Please adjust the measurements to best fit your little lady.


{Version 1 – A full beaded necklace}
{Version 2 – A partially beaded necklace}

Step 2. Before assembling your necklace, separate your beads and arrange them in a pattern that appeals to you.

Instructions:
String the beads onto the piece of stretch cord that you prepared in step 1, stopping when you have 1/2 inch of cord left. Tie the loose end of your cord onto the remaining toggle clasp, top the knot with a dab of glue.


Cut two 18 inch pieces of grosgrain ribbon (finish the cut edges) and tie one piece to each toggle clasp.
Secure each knot with a dot of glue. Trim to desired length.


Give to your little queen bee and be ready to see her squeal with excitement over her new ultra-glam necklace!



{All beads shown here– including the chunky “diamond” pendants – were bought at Hobby Lobby}


16 comments:

  1. I love this tutorial! I can't wait to make a few to put in Isabels basket. She is going to love them! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable - just pinned for later :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing your talents with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic tutorial! I love this idea! I want one for me. Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! But I prefer the other necklace the plain looking one than the red and white combo. IT looks really glamorous and could make almost any outfit fab! Thanks for this tutorial!

    Annabella Merlin
    Creative Photo Albums
    http://yourscrapbookingandcraftsguide.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome - thanks! I love these little girl glam necklaces I've been seeing all over and am so excited to create my own for my little one. I did find many pieces at Hobby Lobby, but where on earth do these ladies find all of the fun really large beads - gum balls, stripes, dots, chunky pendants, etc. - hmm ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes!!! I love this. I too would like some "where to find these" suggestions. It would be great to find these lovely beads in assorted packs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the look of the chunky necklace! Where can I buy the chunky beads and pendants?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the chunky necklace look!!! Where can I find the big chunky beads and playful pendants from?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made one of these but I didn't put the clasp so that my little on could put on herself but it is like the beads are to heavy for the wire because no matter what it stretches to show about an inch of the stretch magic, any thought on how to fix this?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here is a good beginner resource for necklace supplies...and Ebay.
    http://www.delishbeads.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here is a good store for beads and try ebay...
    http://www.delishbeads.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi I am so happy to find a Actual Blog or site that has shared good detailed info on how to do these necklaces! I want to start making them for birthday Girls for my webstore!
    Http://www.poshbabystore.com!

    Thank you for sharing this info it was a great help!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi I am so happy to find a Actual Blog or site that has shared good detailed info on how to do these necklaces! I want to start making them for birthday Girls for my webstore!
    Http://www.poshbabystore.com!

    Thank you for sharing this info it was a great help!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can get the gumball beads, stripes, rhinestones, etc from: http://www.Facebook.com/groups/brookesbigbeads

    ReplyDelete
  16. Richele, you can buy the chunky gumball beads, stripes, rhinestones, etc from http://www.facebook.com/groups/brookesbigbeads

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground